We’ve had a series of exceptionally hot days lately and, as another one was predicted for Wednesday, we decided it would be better to shift the old fogies day to Tuesday.

It still was rather hot and we tried to find shade in the arboretum to try and get some semblance of order in the area around the burnt out hut. The biggest problem is to get rid of all the burnt branches and other pulled out vegetation. Fortunately Neil was there as well to lend a hand, a public holiday well spent.

After tea some went to collect Proteacea seed in the reserve, Rob carried on to put signs on the dirt bins and I did some more weeding in the shade house. I’ve come to the end and now can start at the beginning again as the sweepings out of the roadside drains we used for potting soil contains a lot of grass seeds.

We noticed some dry areas, both in the greenhouse and in the general nursery and on testing found that quite a few sprays were not working properly and replaced them while the spraying. Did a mention it was a hot day an so it was quite welcome. The worst though was that an unknown person had played the cowboy on the sit-on mower and nailed a few of the sprinklers in the nursery. Expensive prank for us as these are more than R200 each.

The upshot of all this was that we only got away at 4:30 which was not according to plan.

I took some wood home and produced two bankies to keep in the Fovs room as I am tired of hunting the old ones down. Guess which is the old one.

P1060677